Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Sleeping Soul (2012)


"Things are starting to get better, starting to look up. Except for the nightmares."
-Grace James.




One of the nice things about this blog is that it gives me the chance to meet some interesting people. One such person has been Shawn Burkett, a writer and director whom I left my card with at the Horror Hound Convention in Indianapolis last November. He asked me to review two of his films, one of which is this one.
This was a spooky film which reminded me of The Others (2001) and also had elements of Roman Polanski’s movie Repulsion (1965). Ayse Howard did a great job as Grace, a woman who is still coping with the loss of her fiance after a year and has basically confined herself to her apartment.
Perhaps the moment which really made me uneasy was when the webcam was on, attempting to capture something suspicious while Grace was sleeping during the night, and the kitchen was empty (at least for a little while) because just seeing nothing makes the viewer nervous that something is going to happen.
The ending certainly got a ‘WTF?’ reaction from me, but I’d say that it was appropriate for this story.
Shawn's music for this film was also nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clownhouse (1989)

This is actually not a review, as I have never seen this film in its entriety. Rather, it's a commentary on the horrible behind the sce...