Monday, February 16, 2015

Interview with Ariana Richards

I recently had the pleasure of talking with Ariana Richards, who is best known for playing Lex in the classic film Jurassic Park (1993). In recent years, she has also made her a name for herself as an artist. Her work can be viewed on the website Gallery Ariana.


1. Ariana, I’m going start by asking you a question I’m sure you’ve been asked numerous times. What was it like working with Steven Spielberg?

A-Yes, I’ve been asked that before, but I have so many good memories. I still remember when I first met Steven. I was on my way to Disneyland with my mom & sister. We were about to leave the house when my agent called saying Steven would like to meet with me. He was just so friendly and easygoing when I walked into his office. By the end, he was asking, “Are you busy this summer, Ariana?” Of course I said no and he said you got the job. He was great, warm and enthusiastic. When I’d get a scene just right, Steven would leap out of his director’s chair and give me a hug. We’ve stayed in touch and have become friends. I’m happy to see him whenever possible. He sends me a Xmas gift each year.

2. You briefly reprised Lex in the first Jurassic Park sequel, The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997). What was that like?

A- I got to have a cameo with Joseph (Mazzello, who played Tim). It was really great that they wanted to bring the kids back and be a part of Jurassic. Coming to the set again with Steven, Jeff Goldblum, and Joe, just felt natural. It was kind of like I’d never left.

3. You acted in other films and TV shows both before and after Jurassic Park. Do you have any fond memories of any of those?

A-Oh, yeah. I started acting at 6. I’ve been in over 20 films and have had some wonderful experiences. I’ve filmed in the highlands of Scotland for The Princess Stallion. I’ve worked with Neil Simon on stage in LA for Jake’s Women. Angus, which was a coming of age story, was a memorable one. I’ve gotten opportunities to do some interesting films. There’s also Tremors (laughs), It has a huge cult following. Apparently this year is the movie’s 25th anniversary.

4. Are there any actors, actresses or directors you’d like to work with?

A-There are so many talented people out there in the business. I’d have to take time for a complete answer. I’ve worked with some great directors. Steven Spielberg, obviously. I also liked working with Mark Haber, who directed Princess Stallion, as well as Neil Simon. I worked with actors such as Kathy Bates, Alan Alda and Helen Hunt. It would be great to work with J. J. Abrams. Of course, if I had the chance to work with Steven again, it would be hard to say no (laughs).

5. Is there a specific genre you are a fan of?

A-I like a lot of different genres of films. I’ve done quite a bit of sci-fi, obviously (laughs). But I like dramas, comedies. I’m not so much a fan of horror as the other genres. I also like period pieces because they pose the additional challenge of taking place in a different time.

6. You have also dabbled in music with the album First Love and later recording a cover version of “The Prayer.” What was it like doing something like that?

A-I enjoyed doing my music. I love singing. After Jurassic, I was approached to do a CD in Japan. It was a total blast, the recording and studio experience. I guess I have an appreciation for many forms of art (laughs).

7. In recent years, you’ve made your mark as an accomplished artist. You are also a descendant of Renaissance painter Carlo Crivelli. Would you say that that was what inspired you to become a painter yourself?

A-Definitely! The fact that art was already was in my blood. My maternal grandmother was also a professional artist, an oil painter. She gave me training and lessons when I was 10. All of my formalized education started at age 12. Then I continued on with art training and with a tutor who was a teacher for the Disney artists. After a degree program in Fine Art and Drama with Skidmore College, I did quite a bit of art training with a mentoring program, where I learned many things that I could have never learned in school. It got me inspired and it took off from there. On a movie set, I’d often have my sketchbook, jotting down ideas. After Jurassic, I wanted to boil down my emotional experience filming that movie, and painted “Raptor Vision”, a watercolor self portrait of the jello scene.

8. You’ve done a variety of paintings, including people and landscapes. Do you have a preference as to what you like to paint?

A-I would say, if I had to choose, I really enjoy portraits of people. I enjoy the process of getting to know people & collaborating on a vision with them. It’s kind of like being a director in a way, expressing their essence on canvas. I get to know their personalities. It’s especially nice when they receive their portraits and they tell me their reaction.

9. Do you ever fancy the notion of acting in the future?

A-Absolutely. I’ve always loved acting. If the right role comes along, I would certainly take it. I haven’t really been looking around for acting roles recently, though, because I’ve been focused on my art career. But if something comes my way, I’d be happy to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown (1975)

The trilogy of A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1967), and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving are...